Prof. Dr. Adriana VLAD
Cercetător Științific I
General infoAdriana Vlad (b. Popescu) graduated the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications in 1969 and in 1979 she obtained her PhD degree from the same institution.
After graduating the faculty she was with the Institute of Atomic Physics, Bucharest, Nuclear Electronics Laboratory (directed by Prof. dr. Ely Katz), as a scientific researcher. Member of the Scientific Council of the Institute of Physics and Nuclear Engineering (1977-1981).
She was co-author in the design and development of various systems for data acquisition and processing in nuclear and laser field, including the first CAMAC systems (Computer Aided Measurement and Control) in Romania. She also developed similar systems for image acquisition and processing in the next period while working at the POLITEHNICA University of Bucharest; co-author of a Romanian patent concerning this kind of applications.
In parallel (1973 – 1979) Adriana Vlad was also Assistant Professor (Information Transmission Theory) at the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications, Applied Electronics and Information Engineering Dept. (part time).
Since 1981, she is with the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest (at present POLITEHNICA University of Bucharest – PUB), Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications, Applied Electronics and Information Engineering Department, her university carrier including several positions: Lecturer, Associated Professor and Professor (since 1998). Member of the Faculty Council (1995-2004). Delivered courses: Information Transmission Theory (Information Theory and Coding; Random Processes); Statistical Methods in Information Processing (a new discipline developed and introduced by Adriana Vlad in the faculty curriculum since 1993); Cryptography and Data Protection (developed and introduced by Adriana Vlad in the faculty curriculum starting with 1994).
Since 2003, Professor Adriana Vlad is a senior researcher (grade I) at the Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Romanian Academy (part time). She has been mainly involved in the research themes concerning natural language modeling. Member of the Scientific Council of the Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence “Mihai Draganescu”, Romanian Academy (2003-present).
Since 2007, as a Ph.D supervisor in Electronic Engineering and Telecommunications, Professor Adriana Vlad directed Ph.D theses in the field of cryptography (including chaos-based cryptography), natural language statistical description, information theory and statistics. Since 2012, Member of the Doctoral School Council of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, PUB.
Adriana Vlad has been Invited Professor at Ecole Nationale Supérieure de l’Electronique et de ses Applications (ENSEA), Cergy, France (since 2002), the collaboration including statistics and cryptography. Under this collaboration (2003 – 2012), she worked with Prof. Jean-Pierre Barbot, head of ECS Laboratory, jointly supervising diploma projects of students and continuing with Ph.D stages and theses in chaos-based cryptography.
Present PositionProfessor at POLITEHNICA University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Applied Electronics and Information Engineering Department
Senior researcher I at the Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence “Mihai Draganescu”, Romanian Academy
Research and teaching interest
- Information Theory,
- Random Processes,
- Statistical Methods,
- Cryptography (including chaos-based cryptography),
- Natural Language Processing
Honours and Awards– “Gheorghe Cartianu” award of the Romanian Academy in 2005, for her contributions to the statistical modeling of printed Romanian: (the monograph Limba română scrisă ca sursă de informaţie , authors Adriana Vlad, A. Mitrea, M. Mitrea, Ed. Paideia, 2003; Chapter 15, “A Corpus – based Analysis of how Accurately Printed Romanian Obeys Some Universal Laws”, authors Adriana Vlad, A. Mitrea, M. Mitrea, in A Rainbow of Corpora: Corpus Linguistics and the Languages of the World, Wilson, Andrew/Rayson, Paul/McEnery Tony Editors, Lincom‑Europa Publishing House, Münich, 2003)
– IEEE Senior Member (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers – USA) since 2005
– Certificate of Achievement awarded by IEEE Romanian Section, March 2011
Aditional Information1. Professional memberships – Member of the Romanian Academy Commission for Romanian Language Processing (ConsILR), since 2001 (founding member)
– IEEE member (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers – USA) since 1994
– ELSNET Member (European Network of Excellence in Human Language Technologies), 1996 – 2003
2. Member of editorial boards Member, Editorial Board of the Scientific Bulletin, Series C: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University POLITEHNICA of Bucharest (journal registered in: Inspec, Scopus, Elsevier Sciences Bibliographic Databases, Engineering Village)
3. Member in the scientific and/or program committee of certain prestigious international conferences – The “International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications (ICCSA)”: ICCSA2008, Perugia, Italia; ICCSA2009, Seul, Korea
– “Traitement et Analyse de l’Information: Méthodes et Applications (TAIMA)”: TAIMA 2009, Hammamet, Tunisie; TAIMA 2011, Hammamet, Tunisie
– 8th and 9th IEEE “International Conference on Communications, Bucharest, Romania: “(COMM) 2010”, “(COMM) 2012”
– “Romanian Cryptology Days (RCD)”, Bucharest, RCD 2013
4. Invited lectures – Invited lecture at the 1st International Conference “Romanian Cryptology Days, RCD-2011”, the RCD topic being “Cryptology – from Academic Research to Government Necessity”, Bucharest, October 11 – 12, 2011
– Invited lecture at the exploratory workshop “LT4RD-Language Technologies for Research and Development in Romania & Romanian Diaspora”, Bucharest, 25 – 28 September 2012
5. Other – Member of the jury of several PhD theses in Romania and three in France (Université Paris Descartes, Ecole MINES Paris Tech., Université Pierre et Marie Curie)
– Coordinator of a post-doctoral stage (2013-2014) as home mentor under SCIEX (Scientific Exchange Program between Switzerland and the New Member States of the European Union); post-doctoral fellow – Dr. engineer Adrian LUCA from UPB, Romania; the host mentor is Dr. Jean Marc Vesin from EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
– Chair-person in several international conferences: Co-chair (on Information Theory and Natural Language Processing): IEEE Intl. Symp. “SCS’99”, “SCS2001”, “ISSCS2005”, “ISSCS2007” Iasi, Romania, IEEE Intl. Symp. “Comm’96”, “Comm2000”, “Comm2002”, “Comm2004”, “Comm2008”, “Comm2010”, “Comm2012”, Bucharest, Romania
ContactPOLITEHNICA University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Applied Electronics and Information Engineering Department, 1 – 3 Iuliu Maniu Bvd., Bucharest 6, Romania;
Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence “Mihai Draganescu”, Romanian Academy, CASA ACADEMIEI, Calea 13 Septembrie no.13, Bucharest 5, Romania
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com